Saturday, November 14, 2009

Athenian Owl Inspiration


This is the logo for Gesine Confectionary and Gourmet Market in Montpelier, Vermont. (Actually, it closed last Christmas, but only because the owner, Gesine Bullock-Prado, has moved on to bigger and better things.) Ms. Bullock-Prado wrote a terrific memoir called Confections of a Closet Master Baker: One Woman's Sweet Journey from Unhappy Hollywood Executive to Contented Country Baker.

I loved the book, and the recipe for sticky buns...

Her husband is a graphic artist who designed her logo, which, as with most design-y things featuring birds, I adore.

It looked really familiar to me, but I couldn't place it, until I was thumbing through Eyewitness: Eagle & Birds of Prey and saw something similar to this:



(Image of an Athenian Tetradrachm, ca. 480 BC, from The Smithsonian's National Numismatic Collection.)

Athenian owls are wonderful and quite distinctive - an excellent inspiration!

(Sign image from Wikipedia.org.)