Friday, December 11, 2009

Picoides pubescens: Downy Woodpecker

I know it's been a while, and I'm sorry for that. It's been so cold here for the last week or so that it's been all I can do to stay warm and keep the sock feeders full of thistle for our winter guests.

Today we've broken into the 20s (yay!) and there's no wind, so it's bracing instead of "holy crap if I don't get inside this minute I'll freeze to death." (OK, so maybe that's a tiny bit hyperbolic, but it has been pretty cold around here lately.) Anyway, after dawning my new pair of (faux) fur-lined boots* I took a walk up to the pond, and it was teeming with life. Whee!

There were kids playing hockey on the ice (if tweens don't count as wildlife, I don't know what does), foraging squirrels and ducks (who have a corner of the pond that hasn't frozen over - it's got running water), several robins and this guy:


A downy woodpecker, the smallest of the North American woodpeckers. I was walking by a tree when I saw a flash of red and there he was, tapping away at loose tree bark. He knew I was there and he let me observe him for several minutes... until he was chased away by what looked like his bigger brother, but was probably a Hairy Woodpecker (Picoides villosus). I'll draw him for Monday.

More birdie-liciousness today: the church hawk from downtown seems to have discovered the weather vane on the newspaper tower.

Doodled from a photo at Wikipedia.

* Spokane is the first place I've lived where there's actually a prolonged winter (as opposed to colder weather with a few isolated storms). We get snow (sometimes several feet of it), rain, ice, frigid winds, the whole nine yards... for several months of the year. As a result, I've built up a small collection of winter-only foot wear: waterproof hiking shoes for light amounts of snow, snow boots (+ gaiters) for deep snow and now a pair of (faux) fur-lined waterproof boots for when it's mostly dry but really darn cold. And about a million pairs of wool socks... because when your feet get cold or wet, it's a prescription for misery.