Monday, February 28, 2011

Why did the Snow Goose cross the road?


To visit a thousand of its closest friends...

I went birding this weekend in Skagit County with seven other enthusiastic classmates. The enthusiasm was necessary because IT. WAS. COLD. And snowy and icy... but we still had a good time looking at Bald Eagles, Northern Harriers, a Rough-legged Hawk, a Merlin, a Peregrine Falcon, Pheasant, American Wigeons (plus one Eurasian Wigeon thrown in for fun), Killdeer, a Kestrel, Dunlin, Green-winged Teals, Blue Herons, Snow Geese, Trumpeter Swans, a Winter Wren and one Spotted Towhee (dead, retrieved from the road by yours truly).

Then, because I like having wind-burned cheeks (NOT), I got up on Sunday and went for a short loop around the Union Bay Natural Area, where the highlights were six Great Blue Herons and a couple of Golden-crowned Kinglets (who always make my day).

Yesterday evening and this morning I worked on a very preliminary value study of my next big project: a Harpy Eagle.